Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The 1066 Games Reflection

The 1066 games were both very entertaining. In the first one, you got to select your leader (William or Harold), and answer a series of tactical questions to determine the winner. In the second, you choose your army and your battlefield, and them wage war. I found they both helped a bit with my strategy, with the first one showing the tough decisions kings had to make, and the second being just like a rugby game. I found the second one was easier for me, since the tactics are similar to those of Risk and rugby, with all the clicking of a computer geek. However, I didn't find them historically accurate. All the information I learned about the Battle of Hastings was from class, not from the games. The book told us that the Battle of Hastings was directly after the Battle of Stromford Bridge, and the English soldiers had been marching for to days straight before Hastings. The Normans came in from the sea, and completely slaughtered the exhausted English, making William the new king. It was speculated that Harold died with an arrow in his eye; however, this is unconfirmed. The games don't show this at all; however, this is what makes them fun. If you knew the outcome of each army, would you play? I wouldn't, since no strategy is required! I found that the games did help you remember the places and competitors though; you tend to remember things that are fun, such as the two games. Overall, I'd give them a 4/5 rating, taking everything into account.

No comments: