Monday, October 5, 2009

A Wee Ponder....


On Thursday night, I was sitting with my parents, saying that it would be nice to have a never-ending cup of tea- you wouldn't have to keep running to the kettle to make more, and you could never run out of tea bags.

My dad then said that in Norse mythology, a titan challenged a god to a drinking match, and lost. The point was for the titan to drink all the sea, although he didn't manage, because his goblet was always full, no matter how much he drank.

He also said there was another Norse myth, where two people challenge eachother to an eating contest. The challenger lost, just to discover that his opponent was fire.

I proceeded to talk about the Prometheus myth we read, and how they described fire as a person too, in a way.

Kind of amazing how some idle comment turns into an educational conversation!

Also, I want to find the myths, and when I do, I'll post them here for everyone to look at.

I chose the picture up at the top because the teacup is vomiting, and letting go of its materials, but looks like it's still got something inside it. It's similar to my thought of the never-ending cup, with it all going out yet staying in.

Image Citation-
~epione, . "T SHIRT: Vomiting Tea Cup." deviantART, 08/07/09. Web. 7 Oct 2009. .

No comments: